SPLIT SECOND Starring Rutger Hauer Makes Its Long-Awaited Debut On Blu-ray Via MVD REWIND COLLECTION
Arrival date on Blu-ray was August 11th
POTTSTOWN, PA – JUNE 11, 2020 – MVD ENTERTAINMENT IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE NORTH AMERICAN HIGH DEFINITION DEBUT OF THE 1992 SCI-FI ACTION CULT CLASSIC “SPLIT SECOND” ON BLU-RAY IN AN ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION.
Synopsis: In the year 2008, the cops are better armed than before, but nothing has prepared them for this. Swift, sharp-clawed and deadly, something moves among them on the streets, in the alleyways, on the rooftops, tearing out human hearts and devouring them. Maverick cop “Harley” Stone (Rutger Hauer) lost his partner to the beast, and now it looks like his girlfriend Michelle (Kim Cattrall) is next on the killer’s list. Even in the future, there aren’t guns big enough to stop the creature’s deadly force, but Stone has no choice. Teamed with rookie detective Durkin (Alastair Duncan), Stone must stalk the edge of his own sanity if he is to destroy the rampaging Evil on the outside and banish the very real demons within . . . It could all be over in a SPLIT SECOND.
SPLIT SECOND boasts an all-star cast that includes Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner, The Hitcher), Kim Cattrall (Big Trouble in Little China, Sex and the City) and Alastair Duncan (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), with an all-star supporting cast that includes Academy Award® Nominees* Michael J. Pollard (Tango & Cash) and Pete Postlethwaite (Inception). From director Tony Maylam (The Burning), “Split Second” features creature design effects by Stephen Norrington (Blade) and a screenplay written by Gary Scott Thompson (The Fast and The Furious).
MVD Rewind Collection has teamed up with 101 Films to bring collectors a fully loaded special edition. Starting with a brand new high definition presentation overseen by Joe Rubin, the main feature is presented in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative, with uncompressed 2-channel stereo audio.
“Split Second” is packed with hours of bonus material produced by 101 Films exclusively for the US (and the UK) including brand new cast and crew interviews, new audio commentary, and rarely seen 1992 legacy features, an alternative cut of the film, deleted scenes, promos and more!
SPLIT SECOND: COLLECTOR’S EDITION
- High Definition (1080p) presentation of the main feature in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative
- Audio: 2.0 LPCM Stereo
- English Subtitles
- NEW! Audio Commentary by action film historian Mike Leeder and filmmaker Arne Venema
- NEW! “Great Big Bloody Guns!” Producer Laura Gregory & Actor Alastair (Neil) Duncan on Split Second (HD, 27:25)
- NEW! “Call Me Mr. Snips!” An Interview with Composer Stephen W. Parsons (HD, 22:21)
- NEW! “Stay In Line!” An Interview with Line Producer Laurie Borg (HD, 23:02)
- NEW! “More Blood!” An Interview with Creature Effects Designer Cliff Wallace (HD, 32:03)
- NEW! “Shoot Everything!” An Interview with Cinematographer Clive Tickner (HD, 18:57)
- Original 1992 Split Second “Making of” featurette that includes interviews with stars Rutger Hauer, Kim Cattrall, Alastair (Neil) Duncan, Michael J. Pollard, Writer Gary Scott Thompson and more! (SD, 6:26)
- Original 1992 behind the scenes featurette with effects creator Stephen Norrington, cast and crew (SD, 3:41)
- Split Second Japanese Cut, full frame with burnt-in Japanese subtitles (SD, 95:00)
- Deleted Scenes from the Japanese Cut (English, burnt-in Japanese subtitles) (SD, 4:42)
- 7 Promotional TV Clips (SD)
- U.S. VHS Home Video Promo (SD, 2:34)
- Theatrical Trailer (SD, 2:15)
- MVD EXCLUSIVE: Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs created exclusively for this release
- Collectible Mini-Poster featuring original VHS style artwork
Exclusive for North America, the MVD Rewind Collection Collector’s edition of SPLIT SECOND features newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs on both the wrap and a limited edition slipcover. Also exclusive for MVD’s North American release will be reversible wrap featuring a stylized version of the original VHS artwork that will also be featured on a mini-poster insert.
Eric D. Wilkinson oversaw this project on behalf of MVD. “Collectors have been waiting for this release for a long time. While MVD licensed this film almost two years ago, as a fellow collector, it was important to me to get this release right. At the time of the acquisition, MVD was originally provided with an older HD master, but I felt we could do better. With the help of Joe Rubin, we began a search for the best materials to scan. Once we had a beautiful new master I then reached out to 101 Films, who control the rights to Split Second in the UK, and we worked together creating new bonus materials and locating classic material in order to make this truly the definitive release of ‘Split Second” in both North America and the UK. I want to thank the 101 Films team for all of their hard work and thank the fans for their continued support of our collectors’ label. I promise it was worth the wait!”
MVD Rewind Collection #24
SPLIT SECOND: COLLECTOR’S EDITION
North American release date – August 11, 2020
Special Edition available exclusively on Blu-ray from MVD Entertainment Group
BLU-RAY: MVD0766BR / UPC: 760137076681 / $39.95 SRP / RATED R
Standard Edition also available on HD Digital, VOD and DVD
MUSE PRODUCTIONS B.V. AND CHRIS HANLEY PRESENT A CHALLENGE FILM RUTGER HAUER “SPLIT SECOND” KIM CATTRALL ALASTAIR DUNCAN AND MICHAEL J. POLLARD AS “THE RAT CATCHER” DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY CLIVE TICKNER PRODUCTION DESIGNER CHRIS EDWARDS COSTUME DESIGNER ANTOINETTE GREGORY SPECIAL EFFECTS ACE EFFECTS LTD CREATURE EFFECTS STEPHEN NORRINGTON MUSIC COMPOSED BY STEPHEN PARSONS & FRANCIS HAINES MUSIC COORDINATORS CHRIS HANLEY & ROBERTA EATON EDITOR DAN RAE LINE PRODUCER LAURIE BORG EXECUTIVE IN CHARGE OF PRODUCTION SUSAN NICOLETTI ASSOCIATE PRODUCER GARY SCOTT THOMPSON EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS KEITH CAVELE & CHRIS HANLEY WRITTEN BY GARY SCOTT THOMPSON PRODUCED BY LAURA GREGORY DIRECTED BY TONY MAYLAM
©1992 INTERSTELLAR RELEASING. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ©2020 IMPERIAL ENTERTAINMENT AND MOONSTONE ENTERTAINMENT. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. SPECIAL FEATURES ©101 FILMS / 101 FILMS INTERNATIONAL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PACKAGE DESIGN & SUMMARY ©2020 MVD ENTERTAINMENT GROUP & THE DUDE DESIGNS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
*ACADEMY AWARD® IS THE REGISTERED TRADEMARK AND SERVICE MARK OF THE ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENCES.
*Pollard: 1967, Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Bonnie and Clyde, Postlethwaite: 1993 Best Actor in a Supporting Role, In The Name of the Father
MVD Entertainment Group is a full service music and movie distribution firm, exclusively representing thousands of audio and visual products for DVD, Blu-ray, CD, vinyl, and digital rights, worldwide. MVD also exclusively distributes a growing line of merchandise including limited edition collectibles, tee shirts, and more. The company stays on the cutting edge of new media with a huge catalog of audio and visual digital rights, and by nurturing its direct relationships with the major digital and VOD platforms.