If you’re anything like me, with all of the options out there it can be difficult to find what to watch. We are constantly getting bombarded with new movies and of course, there are the old classics that we use as comfort food. This is quite last minute, but I know many of us out there like to participant in 31 Days of Halloween or 31 Days of Horror movie challenges during the month of October. Horror is something we watch year around, but going hard during the spooky season just feels right.
For the procrastinators, like myself out there, if you need some help or want to take part in something fun, I have 2 horror movie challenges that you can jump into. As a disclaimer, I did not come up with either of these challenges and can’t take credit, so I’m giving credit to both of the creators.
The first I discovered on Letterboxd a few years ago. This is my third attempt to complete it, with the first year I came just short and last year meeting my goal. The user who came up with it is Cinemonster. This is the seventh year of this challenge called ‘HoopTober’, in honor of the late great Tobe Hooper. The list and its rules are listed here: HoopTober Se7en: We Have Such Masked Socially Distanced Indoor Sights to Show You
This one did start on September 15th and here are the rules to complete this challenge:
Use the TAG HoopTober7.0 so we can read each others stuff as well as to review each film. Also films can satisfy multiple criteria.
QUICK EASY RULES:
- 6 countries
- 6 decades
- 7 2nd films of franchises
- 4 body horror films
- 2 films from this year
- 3 disease based films
- The highest rated horror film from the 50s that you haven’t seen and can access.
- 1 film that is set entirely inside one location
- 1 Invisible Person film
- 1 Non Dracula Hammer Film
- 2 films with a black director or predominantly black cast or lead.
- 1 film with a movie theater in it.
And 1 Tobe Hooper Films (There must ALWAYS be a Hooper film)
FOR THOSE THAT LIKE TO DO EXTRA WORK: Watch The Witch Who Came From the Sea and Cube 2: Hypercube (These two cannot be used for other criteria).
This is one that I’m cruising along pretty nicely. If you’d like to see my list, you can at HoopTober 7.0 – The Not So Final Chap7er. My list is fluid as I watch movies for different reasons, so things will be added and removed as needed.
The other movie challenge comes from JP Shot who can be found on a few podcasts here on the Dark Discussions Network. There is the #22Shots 31 Days of Horror Halloween Challenge 3D. This is my second year in doing this one. It is a bit tougher, but that makes it more fun. It can also be found on Letterboxd with the link above.
The criteria to complete here are:
- 1 – Zombie Film
- 1 – Eco Horror Film
- 1 – Infected Film
- 1 – Road Horror Film
- 1 – Mad Scientist film
- 1 – Found Footage
- 1 – Post Apocalyptic Film
- 1 – Film Featuring a Cult
- 1 – Aquatic Horror Film
- 1 – Little Monster Film
- 1 – Stephen King Film
- 1 – Mini Series
- 1 – Standalone Slasher
- 1 – 3D Horror Movie (Don’t have to watch in 3D)
- 1 – Body Horror Film
- 1 – The Third Film In a Franchise
- 1 – Stuart Gordon film R.I.P
- 1 – Film Based On a Book
- 1 – Halloween Themed film you’ve never seen
- 1 – Film Set in a Hospital
- 1 – Film Set in the Desert
- 1 – Female Directed Horror Film
- 1 – Blindspot (A popular movie you’ve never seen)
- 1 – Film that has a black director or predominantly black cast or lead.
- 1 – 2nd View Dave (Give a movie you didn’t like the first time a 2nd watch)
- 3 – 2005 movies
- 3 – 2020 films
In addition you must follow the rule of 6:
- 6 Countries
- 6 Decades
- 6 First time watches represented.
For the people who like an extra challenge here is the bonus round. These do not count for any previous criteria as they have their own.
Watch these new movies:
- 1. 12 Hour Shift (October 2nd)
- 2. Tales From The Hood 3 (October 6th)
- 3. Books Of Blood (October 7th) (Hulu)
- 4. Tremors: Shrieker Island (October 20th)
- 5. 32 MALASANA STREET (October 22nd) (Shudder)
- 6. Cadaver (October 22nd) Netflix
Welcome To Blumhouse (4 Features October 6 & 13) (Amazon Prime)
- 7. Black Box
- 8. The Lie
- 9. Evil Eye
- 10. Nocturne
Much like I said with the first, my list will be a bit fluid, but you can find at: #22Shots 31 Days of Horror Halloween Challenge – David’s Return.
Regardless, whether you are partaking in a challenge or just doing your own thing with your October, enjoy the spooky season!